Your cart is empty.
Office Security Systems 101: Essential Tips and Best Practices
In today’s world, it’s more important than ever to prioritize security in the workplace. Not only do office security systems protect your business assets and sensitive information, they also ensure the safety of your employees.
A robust office security system can deter potential burglars, prevent unauthorized access, and provide a sense of peace of mind for all those who work in the office. In this blog, we’ll explore the various types of office security systems, best security practices, and how to create a culture of security within your organization.
Whether you’re a small business owner or a facilities manager, these tips and best practices will help you keep your office secure.
The Importance of Office Security Systems
Office security systems are essential for any business or organization, as they help protect against a variety of threats and ensure the safety of employees and assets. Here are some of the key benefits of implementing a security system in the workplace:
- Deter Crime: A visible office security system, such as cameras or alarms, can deter potential burglars from attempting to break into the office. This can save your business from the costly damages and losses that can result from a break-in.
- Prevent Unauthorized Access: An access control system, such as key cards or biometric scanners, can prevent unauthorized individuals from entering the office. This can help keep your business assets and sensitive information secure.
- Ensure Employee Safety: Security systems can also help ensure the safety of your employees. For example, panic buttons and emergency notification systems can help employees quickly alert authorities in the event of a threat or emergency.
Overall, office security systems are a necessary investment for any business or organization. They can protect against a range of threats, prevent losses, and ensure the safety of employees and assets.
The Types of Office Security Systems
There are several types of office security systems that businesses and organizations can implement to protect against threats and ensure the safety of employees and assets.
One type of security system is cloud cameras with surveillance. These cameras use cloud storage to store and manage video footage, allowing for easy access and remote monitoring. Cloud cameras can provide real-time surveillance of your office, helping to deter burglaries and prevent unauthorized access.
Another type of office security system is an access control system. These systems control and monitor access to the office, using methods such as keycards, biometric scanners, or passcodes. Access control systems can help prevent unauthorized individuals from entering the office and protect against the theft of business assets.
Environmental sensors are another type of office security system. These sensors can detect and alert you to a range of environmental threats, such as fire, smoke, vape, and extreme temperatures. Environmental sensors can help protect your office from damage and ensure the safety of your employees.
By implementing a combination of these security measures, businesses and organizations can create a comprehensive security system to protect against a range of threats.
The Best Practices for Office Security Systems
There are several best practices that businesses and organizations can follow to ensure the effectiveness of their office security systems. Here are a few key considerations:
- Conduct a Security Assessment: It’s important to understand the specific security needs and vulnerabilities of your office. Consider factors such as the type of business you operate, the location of your office, and the potential threats you may face. A security assessment can help you identify areas of weakness and determine the types of security measures that will be most effective.
- Create a Security Plan: Once you have conducted a security assessment, you should develop a written security plan that outlines the steps you will take to protect your office. This plan should include details on the types of security measures you will implement, how they will be maintained, and who is responsible for monitoring and enforcing security protocols.
- Stay Up to Date on New Threats: The security landscape is constantly evolving, so it’s important to stay informed about new threats and how to protect against them. This may involve regularly reviewing your security plan and implementing new security measures as needed.
By following these best practices, you can ensure that your office security system is effective at protecting against threats and ensuring the safety of your employees and assets.
Choosing the Best Office Security System for Your Needs
When it comes to choosing the right office security system, it’s important to take a number of factors into consideration. Here are a few key steps to follow:
First, assess your security needs and budget. Consider the specific security challenges and vulnerabilities that your office faces, as well as the resources you have available to invest in a security system. This will help you narrow down the options and determine the types of security measures that will be most effective for your business.
Next, do your research. There are many different types of office security systems available, each with its own set of features and benefits. Research different options and compare them based on factors such as cost, functionality, and ease of use. Look for systems that are backed by reputable companies and have a good track record of performance.
Finally, be sure to consider the long-term value of the security system you choose. While it may be tempting to opt for the cheapest option, keep in mind that a lower-quality system may not provide the same level of protection and may require more frequent repairs or replacements. Investing in a higher-quality system may ultimately save you money in the long run.
By following these steps, you can choose the right office security system for your business, one that will effectively protect against threats and ensure the safety of your employees and assets.
An Introduction to Verkada: Office Security Systems
Here at Monarch, we will work with you to design an office security system. Together, we will design, implement, and oversee a security infrastructure for both safety and convenience.
Verkada offers a wide range of security products, including facial recognition cameras, access control, intrusion sensors and professional monitoring. All Verkada devices integrate with each other and are managed from a single cloud dashboard. Consider the following features of all Verkada devices:
Simple to Use
- Solid-state Storage (SSD): No NVR, DVR, or server is required. This means you pay for what you use – and that’s all. This reduces any extra overhead operations and the associated expenses,
- Regular, Automatic Software Updates: No need to worry about if your devices are working properly or are up-to-date with our Verkada devices.
- Simple Plug-and-Play Install: Just a standard Ethernet cable is required for the cameras to be brought online and fully operational within minutes.
- Accessible Anywhere, Anytime: Access archived or live feed videos on any device or browser
- Time lapse: Watch a day of footage in under 30 seconds with timelapses.
- Floor Plan: Quickly respond to incidents with real-time motion plotting.
- Unlimited Storage on Camera and Cloud: Reduce your organizations’ liability risk with unlimited cloud archiving offered by Verkada cameras.
- Unlimited Users Allowed: You can easily authorize admins access to an unlimited number of users.
- Infinitely Scalable: No matter how large the facility is, we can help you keep everyone on the same page.
- AI-Based Video Analytics – People and Vehicle: Face detection, person of interest detection, and license plate detection are all available.
- Smart Filters: Search for specific people, vehicles, and objects without having to spend too much time scrubbing through footage.
- Live Alerts: Receive instant alerts in any meaningful event
- Shareable Live Feeds: Share your live feed via SMS. This is useful as you can send it to first responders in case of an emergency for dramatically reduced response time.
- 10-Year Warranty: Rest assured that your money is well protected
Office Security System: Cloud-Based Verkada Cameras
Verkada offers some of the best cameras for office security systems. These cameras include: the Verkada Indoor Dome Series, the Verkada Outdoor Dome Series, the Verkada Bullet Series, the Verkada Mini Series, and Verkada Fisheye Series.
Verkada Indoor Dome Series
The Dome Series from Verkada provides enterprise-grade security in a variety of models suitable for any environment – indoors or outdoors. These hybrid cloud cameras have a long-lasting, vandal-resistant design and sensor resolutions of up to 4K, making them ideal for office spaces.
All of the cameras in the Dome Series are straightforward to install and ready to use right out of the box without any additional configurations or downloads. Hence, organizations can quickly scale coverage and situational awareness across any number of locations using standard features such as data encryption in transit and at rest, onboard storage, and advanced motion-based insights.
There are models in the Indoor Dome Series: CD42, CD52, and C62.
|Type of Lens||Fixed, with 3x Zoom Digitally||Zoom, with 3x Optical and Digital Zoom||Zoom, with 3x Optical and Digital Zoom|
|Standard Retention||Up to 365 Days||Up to 365 Days||Up to 90 Days|
|Standard Storage||Up to 2TB||Up to 2TB||Up to 2TB|
The Verkada Outdoor Dome Series
The Verkada Outdoor Dome Series is both weather- and tamper-resistant. Its capabilities function well even in areas with limited bandwidth and connectivity. They are perfect for monitoring the parking lot and the exterior of buildings (e.g., to capture key license plates). There are three three models in the Outdoor Dome Series: CD42-E, CD52-E, and C62-E.
|Type of Lens||Fixed, with 3x Zoom Digitally||Zoom, with 3x Optical and Digital Zoom||Zoom, with 3x Optical and Digital Zoom|
|Standard Retention||Up to 365 Days||Up to 365 Days||Up to 90 Days|
|Standard Storage||Up to 2TB||Up to 2TB||Up to 2TB|
|Rating||IK10 & IP67||IK10 & IP67||IK10 & IP67|
The Verkada Bullet Series
The Bullet Series from Verkada is built to withstand extreme conditions, and its conspicuous appearance is meant to deter would-be assailants.
These cameras’ lenses can be either wide-angle or telephoto, giving you the flexibility to capture a broad scene or focus in on distant details, respectively. In addition to being able to take clear pictures up to 50 feet away in the dark, they also have powerful long-range IR LEDs.
Bullet cameras are weather-resistant and can be used in the open air. They have a strong aluminum unibody with hermetically sealed internal electrical components. The exterior housing is protected from dust and water to an IP67 standard, and from vandalism, hail, and other flying objects to an IK10 standard. Thus, the bullet camera is an ideal camera for surveillance outside of the office building.
There are four three models in the Bullet Series: CB51-E, CB61-E, CB51-TE, CB61-TE.
|Type||Indoor and/or Outdoor||Indoor and/or Outdoor||Indoor and/or Outdoor||Indoor and/or Outdoor|
|Type of Lens||Zoom, with up to 3x Optical and Digital zoom||Telephoto Zoom, with 8-20mm focal length||Zoom, with up to 3x Optical and Digital zoom||Telephoto Zoom, with 8-20mm focal length|
|Standard Retention||Up to 2TB||Up to 2TB||Up to 2TB||Up to 2TB|
|Standard Storage||Up to 365 Days||Up to 365 Days||Up to 90 Days||Up to 90 Days|
|Rating||IK10 & IP167||IK10 & IP167||IK10 & IP167||IK10 & IP167|
The Verkada Mini Series
The Verkada Mini Series offers flexibility and high resolution for crystal clear footage. The Mini Camera is a compact size that can fit any space, anywhere. There are three three models in the Mini Series: CM41-S, CM41, and CM41-E.
|Type of Lens||Fixed, with up to 3x Digital Zoom||Fixed, with up to 3x Digital Zoom||Fixed, with up to 3x Digital Zoom|
|Standard Retention||Up to 90 days||Up to 365 Days||Up to 365 Days|
|Standard Storage||Up to 385GB||Up to 2TB||Up to 2TB|
|Rating||N/A||IK08||IK10 & IP67|
The Fisheye Camera
Using sophisticated onboard processing and a wide–angle 12MP image sensor, the CF81-E fisheye camera from Verkada offers dynamic viewing experiences. In fact, there are five different viewing options available to users: panoramic, digital pan-tilt-zoom, 2-way split, 3-way split, and 4-way split.
The CF81-E has an IP67 rating, making it suitable for use in either indoor or outdoor environments. The exterior housing has an impact resistance level of IK10, making it safe from vandalism, hail, and other flying objects. The CF81-E, like all Verkada cameras, can be used straight from the box with no further settings adjustments required.
|Type||Indoor and/or Outdoor|
|Type of Lens||Fixed, with 3x Digital Zoom|
|Standard Retention||Maximum of 90 Days of Standard Quality Retention|
|Standard Storage||Up to 2TB of Onboard Storage|
|Angle of View||180°|
|Rating||IK10 and IP67|
|Analytics||Ambarella Chipset for People and Vehicle Analytics|
|Viewing Modes||Panoramic; Four–Way Split; Pan-Tilt–Zoom|
Office Security System: People Analytics
People Analytics combines cloud-based computer vision with intelligent edge-based video processing to give users high-quality images of every person recognized in the scene. Moreover, Verkada’s centralized management platform enables users to filter visitors according to a wide range of criteria, such as time of day, date, appearance, clothing color, backpack detection, and facial matches. Consider the following benefits of using Verkada’s People Analytics with your office security system.
- Face Search
- You can quickly find people who look like a face you already have in your organization. You can also upload an image of a face of a person of interest.
- Occupancy Trends
- Estimate the number of people who cross a customizable digital line on a video feed.
- Keep track of how a space is being used in order to improve business operations.
- Person History
- Search through high-resolution snapshots of people detected in the frame.
- Save screenshots or easily access associated high-resolution video.
- Examine Anywhere
- People Analytics is accessible from any device and from virtually any location in the world.
- Filters for Attributes
- Filter by a variety of criteria, such as clothing color, gender appearance, and facial matches.
- Cross Camera Tracking
- Quickly identify people of interest or potential suspects across all cameras at all sites.
- Record and export multiple angles of a person to provide evidence quickly.
Office Security Systems: How Does Live Video Surveillance Work?
Live video surveillance is especially effective in deterring crime when there is professional security personnel monitoring your office 24/7. Thus, live video surveillance systems are a great way for businesses to protect their investments while also keeping their employees and customers safe. With these systems in place, companies can rest assured knowing property and assets are safe and secure.
However, not all office security systems come with live video surveillance services. For this reason, it is crucial to actively look for security systems that offer such services by trained security personnel. With Verkada’s Alarm license and installation of security cameras, you can rest easy knowing that your facility is protected with surveillance services. But how precisely does real-time live video surveillance work?
Step 1: Choose the Cameras for Live Video Surveillance
You begin by determining which office cameras will be watched and at what times. Verkada’s high-tech AI analytics then notify on-call security personnel whenever a human is detected at the scene. Access control and intrusion sensors are just two examples of the other Verkada devices that can trigger alarms.
Step 2: Security Officer Checks for Danger
Second, when an alarm goes off, the people who are watching the live video feed will look at the footage to see if anything is in immediate danger.
Step 3: Security Officer Responds to Incidents
Ultimately, if there is a real danger, the monitoring agent will immediately contact the customer’s call list. In the event of an emergency, customers can also request that agents contact the appropriate authorities. The agent avoids unnecessary alarms by disregarding the situation if it poses no immediate risk. The Verkada agents in charge of your building’s live video monitoring services will essentially (1) spot suspicious behavior, (2) look into the matter, and (3) take charge if an emergency occurs.
Office Security System: Access Control
Office security systems should also include access control. An access control system is a security measure that regulates who has access to certain premises. There are many different types of access control systems, but they all have one common goal: to keep unauthorized people out while allowing authorized people in. Additionally, access control allows staff to move around quickly with keycards to maximize efficiency.
There are numerous approaches to controlling access to a building, and Monarch can assist you in determining which approaches to use for your security system.
Verkada’s AC41 Door Controller
With Verkada’s AC41 Door Controller, clients may bring plug-and-play ease to managing doors and access throughout their restaurant. In other words, as soon as you install the AC41 Door Controller, it is ready to use within minutes! Our Access Controller can easily integrate with any existing door hardware and readers in your facility.
With our Command platform, you can easily manage your doors once they are connected to the network (e.g., create lock schedules for doors). On the Command platform, you can effortlessly manage building access, scheduling, and users. You also save time adding users on the platform since employees are seamlessly configured, onboarded, and offboarded. This is because of the integration with active directory platforms.
Additionally, you can easily connect your Access Controller with your cameras using Verkada Command to provide real-time video analytics on access-related events. Thus, you are able to not only view what is happening at the buildings’ points of entry, but also take proactive action for any significant occurrences. The door controller, then, is an essential for office security systems.
Verkada’s AD32 Door Reader
The AD32 Door Reader allows individuals to enter doors if they have the appropriate credentials on their cards or mobile phone. This door reader supports low and high frequency card formats as well as mobile devices that have the Verkada Pass app. Furthermore, the AD32 Door Reader comes in two different options: the Mullion Mount Plate and the Single Gang Mount Plate. Both options allow for customized installs.
The Single Gang Mount Plate is a common card reader format that can replace existing reader mounts or be used on traditional installations. The thinner Mullion form factor has a sleek design and can be used in smaller spaces such as door frames.
The Uses of Access Control for Office Security Systems
You can feel secure knowing that your interests are safeguarded with any Verkada device. Consider the following benefits of implementing access control as part of your office security system:
Insight on Building Access Activity
- Our access control system handles visitor credentials and ensures that visitors like maintenance workers only have access to specific areas.
- Track where and when individuals enter and exit certain areas.
- Deter deter potential crime with safety door locks after business hours.
- Identify intrusions when they do occur. With Verkada’s devices, you can filter for door events like tailgating, holding the door open, forcing the door open, and people of interest.
- Prevent some employees and visitors from entering restricted areas with door lock systems that require authorized credentials.
- Protect your company’s critical equipment, information, and assets with controlled access door locks. With these door locks, only authorized individuals will have access to these areas.
Managing Access Credentials
So, how does Verkada’s access control of office security systems work? You can manage access control on the Verkada Command platform which is where you can monitor all of your devices. There are many different features that you may use to secure access control.
First, you can specify the user groups or access levels on Verkada Command. Then, you can design badge templates for each user group or access level. Next, you can print the badges and issue credentials either in bulk or individually. Finally, you can maintain users and permissions up to date in real time.
What else can be done on Verkada Command to manage building access control? Consider the following features:
- Synchronize Profiles: Synchronize users from SSO systems such as Okta and Azure Active Directory, and natively capture access levels and groups.
- (De)Provisioning with a Single Click: With a single click, employees can be issued bluetooth credentials or a physical ID card.
- Log of Badge Events: On Verkada Command, access a log of badge events to ensure that only authorized individuals have access to secure areas.
- Unlock Doors from Anywhere, Anytime: Users can remotely unlock authorized doors using either the Verkada Pass and Command Mobile apps
- One-Tap Instant Lockdown: Create custom Lockdown scenarios that can be activated with a single tap to immediately secure buildings in the event of an emergency.
Office Security System: The SV11 Environmental Sensor
The Verkada SV11 all-in-one environmental sensor can monitor the health and safety of buildings. The SV11 environmental sensor monitors 8 different aspects of the environment: the total volatile organic compounds (TVOCS), the air quality index (AQI), particulate matter 2.5 (PM 2.5), the temperature and relative humidity, noise levels, vaping, and motion. Overall, the automated situational awareness provided by the SV11 is key for a security system for offices.
You can purchase the SV11 Environmental Sensor here.
Design and Features of the SV11
The SV11 is unique in not only its ability to monitor the overall environment, but also in its design and features, making it the perfect addition to an office security system. Its outer layer is a photochemically stainless steel etch and it is followed by several different sensors that measure and report data. Verkada’s SV11 works by using the onboard sensors to detect changes in the breakdown of chemicals in the air.
Furthermore, the SV11 has many different features that make it one of the most appealing environmental sensors. Consider the following unique attributes:
- Command Platform: Access all sensor data from the Command platform and view it against a timeline to get a full picture of when these events occurred. Compare environmental between any number of sensors or locations.
- Customize Your Dashboard: Determine which exact sensor data you’d like monitored and displayed on your dashboard
- Integration with other Verkada Devices: The SV11 Environmental Sensor is natively integrated with all other Verkada devices.
- Link Sensor-Based Data to Video: Link any sensor with a Verkada camera, correlating video with sensor-based data.
- Custom Threshold: Configure custom alert thresholds to receive real-time notifications via SMS and email.
- Alert Settings: Customize alerts for your team to cut down on unnecessary notifications during the weekend and after work. Our platform allows each user to set what hours and days of the week that they’d like to receive alerts for sensor-based anomalies.
The Benefits of The SV11 Environmental Sensor
Consider the following advantages of having the SV11 sensor as part of your office security system:
Detect Dangerous Environmental Conditions
- Deter harmful behaviors like vaping
- Monitor changes in temperature or humidity to reduce the loss of records or products
- Measure the air quality to ensure healthy air quality for employees and for product control
- Measure VOC emissions to prevent adverse health effects
Remain Safe and Secure
- Monitor the environment to ensure measurements are in line with state laws and compliances.
- Monitor noise levels that may indicate yelling is happening. This can help different institutions monitor for violence, conflicts, or other issues.
- Monitor the temperature to protect expensive equipment and products.
- Monitor noise levels without recording audio. This ensures privacy is not compromised
Creating a Culture of Safety with Office Security Systems
Creating a culture of safety in the workplace is essential for any business or organization. A culture of safety helps to ensure that employees feel secure and supported in their work environment, which can lead to increased productivity and morale. Here are a few steps you can take to create a culture of safety in your office:
First, establish clear safety policies and procedures. Make sure that all employees are aware of the safety policies and procedures in place at your office. Clearly communicate these policies and provide training on how to follow them.
Additionally, encourage open communication about safety concerns and issues. This can be done through regular safety meetings, suggestion boxes, or anonymous reporting systems. By fostering an open and transparent environment, employees will feel comfortable raising safety concerns and working together to find solutions.
Furthermore, regular safety training and education can help employees stay up to date on best practices and reduce the risk of accidents and injuries. Consider offering training sessions on topics such as ergonomics, fire safety, and emergency preparedness.
Lastly, recognizing and rewarding safe behavior can help to reinforce a culture of safety in the workplace. Consider implementing a safety incentive program or recognizing employees who go above and beyond to prioritize safety in their work.
By following these steps, you can create a culture of safety in your office that promotes the well-being and productivity of your employees.
Monarch: Your Trusted Security Vendor of Office Security Systems
In conclusion, office security systems are an essential investment for any business or organization. They help protect against a range of threats, prevent losses, and ensure the safety of employees and assets. By following best practices such as conducting a security assessment, creating a security plan, and training employees, you can ensure the effectiveness of your office security system.
Additionally, by creating a culture of safety in the workplace, you can promote the well-being and productivity of your employees. While implementing an office security system may require an upfront investment, the long-term benefits are well worth it. Protecting your business and employees should be a top priority, and a robust security system is a crucial part of achieving that goal.
Monarch is here to help you choose the best office security system for your needs. Contact the security experts at Monarch to learn more!Updated: Jan 2